Style over Brands

I've been trying to change the way I think about some of the items I surround myself with or that I purchase. A watch is a time keeping device, it's brand should come secondary to the function. But so much of the time, what comes first is: "it's a Cartier watch, or an Omega watch". Firstly, it's a watch. The same thoughts can be applied when thinking about cars, jumpers, shoes, mobile phones and laptops. What about food? Organic fancy foods versus economy supermarket brands? Pasta is still pasta. And a watch is still a watch.

I love my M&S black watch more than probably all of my others because of it's simple design. So why do I obsess periodically about the Cartier Tank Solo it looks a little like? Why do I have a Chanel handbag (vintage and I'm so embarrassed to use it I never do because I don't actually like the idea of looking rich or bouji). Perhaps as I mature and my style crystallises I am naturally gravitating towards things that are more discreet and simple in their design aesthetic and am less brand focused. I find myself more interested it how the item makes me feel rather than how it makes me look to others.

It might be the same with people in my life. Rather than trying to keep up with everyone, perhaps now I am more comfortable thinking 'I love you, you are/were dear to me and I wish you well' when a friend pops into my head. After all, we are never really the same person as we go through life so why shouldn't we outgrow some of our friends, just as they may outgrow us? It doesn't mean we don't and didn't value their love and time when it mattered. A considered and intentional life is one of meaning and value and one I for one am looking to lead. 










Comments

Popular Posts