The Importance of Small Wins

Reflecting back on this past year there is one thing that stands out a little above others when it comes to important things that I have learnt - that thing is that small wins count more than we think that they do.

I have never been an athletic person. I'd grudgingly participate in P.E. lessons at school but as soon as this stopped being compulsory my kit was in the donation pile to go to the local charity shop. I remember a university friend once laughing at the thought that I'd rather be late for classes because I wouldn't even run or fast-walk for the bus. 

This year I completed the couch-to-5K running programme AND now still run out of choice. I took a few swimming lessons with my sister and actually went snorkelling when I had the trip of a lifetime to Maui AND I even tried scuba diving!!! For 10 minutes but that was 10 minutes more than I'd ever have thought I'd do. I even successfully snowboarded (and crawled) down a mountain in Bulgaria with my now-fiance. 



It's almost as if by taking one small step towards physical fitness I gathered the momentum to go a step further, to try something new, and then something new again. The little wins with each successive run or swim make me feel more like the "me" I've always wanted to be - someone who was strong and fit and motivated. Someone who was a "doer". Deep down, I've probably always been that person but fear and procrastination stopped me from living more fully. 

And now I'm writing my first blogpost. 

Happy days.... ☺️

Comments

Popular Posts